Healthy broccoli chicken recipes made with pasta, soft chicken, broccoli, and our delicious cheddar mushroom sauce.
If you are an adult eating broccoli chicken casserole, raise your hand! If your hands always include a bowl of mushroom cream soup, remove both hands! Ah, in a way, this is what all great kids did in the 1980s. For those who still want good chicken tagine from time to time, today I have a modern version and I think you will like it.
It was made with all the classic ingredients from the broccoli tag chicken recipe in my childhood, bringing a little freshness, taking us to 2019. Your choice of noodles (I use wheat, but I can make any type of pasta) and lots of cheddar cheese (the best!) .
Then, as an alternative to canned mushroom soup, the cauliflower casserole recipe offers a homemade mushroom sauce that you can make yourself, made with lots of fresh mushrooms and delicious spices, to make sure this dish is boring.Print
This delicious broccoli chicken tagine recipe is made with pasta, tender chicken, broccoli, and mushroom sauce of your choice. For possible differences in composition, see the note above.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta* (I used whole-wheat rotini)
- 1 large head of broccoli*, cut into bite-sized florets (about 1 pound of florets)
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups diced (or shredded) cooked chicken
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cook pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted boiling water until it is al dente.
- However, about 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the boiling pasta
water and stir until combined. Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter (or oil) in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add in the stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone. Add in the milk, Dijon, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until it is combined. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- In a large 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken. Toss until combined. Smooth the casserole out into an even layer.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Serve warm, garnished with extra black pepper and/or fresh herbs, if desired.
*Pasta: Any type of pasta will work here — traditional (semolina), whole-wheat, egg, gluten-free, or alternative-grain pasta.
*Broccoli: Feel free to use 1 pound of frozen broccoli florets (thawed) in place of fresh broccoli if you prefer.
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole